Position Opens: 2018-12-13
Pend Oreille PUD is looking for an Engineer who will configure, maintain and support the SCADA and Load Management infrastructure to ensure its reliable, safe and secure operation. This position will maintain the SCADA and Load Management systems in a compliant manner and will demonstrate compliance with applicable regulatory standards.
This position will be responsible for close coordination with the substation design team and the lead protection engineer used in the control and operation of utility transmission and distribution facilities. Other duties will include: provide guidance, oversight and direction for technical services personnel for substation maintenance and installation activities; create equipment specifications and standards for substation protection, automation, and communications equipment and oversee the operation of these systems; conduct engineering and operational studies and provide recommendations in order to provide safe, reliable, and economical substation plans and designs according to established District guidelines; independently evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques and procedures while using judgment when making adaptations and modifications.
This position performs and/or coordinates with engineering consultants for the planning design of the District’s electrical transmission, distribution & generation system, analyzes electrical data from a variety of sources and recommends necessary changes to produce the most effective electrical system possible. The System Engineer evaluates and implements technology as required to improve the planning design of the entire system. He or she reviews system planning and construction in coordination with other departments as required. She or he works with customers in planning for new loads and distributed generation as well as oversees the Work, Service, and Maintenance Order Queues. The System Engineer assists in technical training and support for other departments as applicable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES will include, but are not limited to:
- Designs, configures, and maintains the SCADA and Load Management infrastructure in accordance with POPUD policies, regulatory standards and industry best practices.
- Documents tasks to demonstrate compliance with regulatory standards such as infrastructure changes, compliance assessments, testing of significant changes, system configurations, access reviews and equipment disposal.
- Responsible for procedures and practices related to the physical and cyber security of the SCADA system.
- Programs SCADA systems to communicate with field equipment including IEDs, RTUs and meters.
Maintains and supports SCADA servers, databases, data historian, SCADA one-lines, map board, operator, training, historian and engineering workstations, and related Electric Operations systems including: ACS, eDNA, ICCP, data integration (transcription, load page) and delivery point meters. Manages POPUD relationship with key hardware and software vendors.
- Creates and updates SCADA operator displays and databases.
- Coordinates SCADA infrastructure and display activities with POPUD’s Electric Operations staff.
Coordinates ICCP database and coordinates data exchange with outside entities.
- Participates in internal and external audits as a subject matter expert.
- Provides technical support to internal staff for maintained systems.
- Directs and assists in recovery efforts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Create detailed control schematics, wiring diagrams.
- Investigate and analyze transmission system disturbances and relay operations to determine root cause and recommend system improvements.
- Direct maintenance personnel in the installation, verification, and upgrade of substation protection, communication and control equipment.
- Support system operations group during outages and emergencies with analyses of digital fault data and relay sequence of operations review.
- Assist other members of department in the analysis of the electrical and telecommunication systems using computerized engineering models and business databases to design improvements and additions to the electrical system based on cost- benefit ratio.
- Review new and upgraded substation construction drawings to ensure accuracy and compliance with WAC, National Electrical Safety Code Standards, and local ordinances.
Education and Qualifications
Successful applicants must have:
- Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or relevant field of study from accredited college or university and work experience in related discipline is required.
- Ten or more years of relevant work experience specifically related to the daily operations of transmission and generation systems in either EMS or SCADA related fields is required.
- Professional License in the State of Washington is preferred
How to Apply
Interested candidates, please complete the online application referenced below, including a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements. If preferred, you can email an application, along with a resume and cover letter, to: firstname.lastname@example.org; or, mail application materials to P.O. Box 190, Newport WA 99156 Attn: Human Resources.
Should you have any questions about the position or the application process, please contact Lloyd Clark (HR Manager) via email at email@example.com.
Starting salary is DOQ
Position open until filled
The Public Utility District of Pend Oreille County is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.