Line Extension FAQs

Line Extension FAQs

Power Line Extensions

Question: What is a power line extension?

A line extension is the extension of electric facilities to the customer’s property, subdivision or commercial building.

Question: How do I determine if power is available to my property?

Submit a Line Extension Application and site plan to find out what is needed to bring power to your property if it is not already available.  Forms can be found online, sent to you through the mail or email, or filled out at our office.  Call (509) 447-3137 for more information.

Question: Who pays for a power line extension?

The customer pays all costs associated with a power line extension.

Question: How much does a power line extension cost?

To get started, there is a non-refundable engineering fee.  An estimate will be determined during or following the engineering on-site appointment.

Question:  How long does it typically take to have a power line extension completed?

There are several factors that affect how long a line extension may take, such as the size/ length of the extension, as well as weather situations outside of our control. Typically, upon initial contact with the PUD, once paperwork and payment for the line extension has been completed, and the PUD has received an approved inspection from L&I, the job is added to the PUD’s operations construction queue.  Once the job is in the queue, our goal is to have the line extension completed within 10 business days.

Note: New line extensions scheduled between June and November may have an extended construction waiting time due to an increased volume of requests.  

Question: How do I find out where I am in the line extension process?

Answer: Please call (509) 447-3137 if you would like a status update.

Question:  How do I know what size of service I will need for my new home or building?

Answer:  Many factors affect the size of a service such as square footage of the home/building and size and type of furnace.  Your electrician will be able to help you determine the proper service size.  Typical residential services are 200 or 400 amp.

Question: Where do I obtain a building permit in Pend Oreille County?

The Pend Oreille County Building and Planning department – they can be reached at (509) 447-4821.

Question: Who installs and inspects my meter base?

Customers installing any service up to 400 amps will purchase and install the meter base either under a homeowner permit or by hiring a qualified electrician.  Once installed, the customer or electrician will contact Washington State Department of Labor and Industries who permits and inspects the meter base. Call (509) 886-6500 for more information. This is required before the PUD can begin construction.

Question: Can I dig my own ditch as is there a cost reduction if I do?

This is determined during the engineering appointment and is at the discretion of the Field Engineer.

Question: How deep does the trench need to be if I dig my own ditch?

  • Primary - 42”
  • Secondary - 36” 
  • Fiber - 18”

Fiber Line Extensions

Question:  Is there fiber available that can be installed along with my power line extension?

We have fiber available many places in the county.  With an address or parcel number we can verify if fiber is already available at the service location or if a fiber line extension is necessary.  Currently fiber-to-premise is concentrated in the southern and mid-county areas of Pend Oreille County and can be installed at the same time as the electric line extension if both line extensions have been paid for and all required paperwork has been received.

Question:  What is the basic application process for a fiber extension?

Below outlines the basic steps:

  • Submit an application, copy of the deed, and a $50 engineering fee (application must be made by the property owner).
  • Conduct an on-site appointment with the staking engineer.
  • The staking engineer will put together a quote to extend fiber to your premise.
  • The quote will be emailed and/or mailed to you.  The quote is the actual cost to the PUD to build the fiber line extension.
  • Once quote is paid, you will be put on the schedule for construction.
  • You’ll need to call a retail service provider (RSP) to sign up for service – either iFiber, POVN or Concept Communications.

Question:  Who are the retail service providers in our area and how can they be reached?

 You can use this link: Retail Service Providers

  • Concept Communications – 208.437.4544
  • iFiber Communications – 509.447.2600
  • Pend Oreille Valley Networks (POVN) - 509.447.3067

Question: Who pays for a fiber line extension?

The customer pays all costs associated with a fiber line extension.

Question:  How long does it typically take to have a fiber line extension completed?

During construction season and throughout the summer months it can take 6 – 8 weeks or longer depending on the number of requests we receive. If the fiber line is already in place, and electronics are all that is needed, it could be done sooner (typically 1-2 weeks).  Keep in mind that if road restrictions are in place, and fiber needs ran to the premise, that could extend the completion time.

Question: Will I need a fiber line extension or is the fiber already to the premise and I need the electronic component only?

This can be determined by contacting the PUD.  Electronics only means the line has already been built all the way to the house. Customers will typically have a little gray box on the side of the house, but the electronics will not yet be installed.  

Question: How much does a fiber line extension cost?

To get started, there is a non-refundable engineering fee of $50.  If fiber needs ran to the home, an estimate will be determined during or following the engineering on-site appointment.  The cost for “electronics only” is $677 which covers the actual electronics material cost and labor to complete the installation.

Question: What equipment is installed in order to receive fiber?

Typically a grey box called a Network Interface Device (NID)  is mounted by the PUD outside your home.  The NID provides the connection to the PUD’s CNS Network by converting the fiber-optic light signals into a form that can be used in your home.  The NID must be connected to electrical power therefore our technicians will typically locate the NID adjacent to your existing electric meter.

The NID is connected to power through either a power collar (inserted in line with your meter) or by means of a power inverter plugged in to a GFCI outlet (both shown below).  The NID serves as the demarcation point, meaning the PUD is responsible for the wiring to this point.

Customers/Retail Service Providers (RSPs) are responsible for the wiring from the NID to your home. To complete the process, your RSP will install Cat5 or Cat 6 wire that connects from the NID to your home network.

 NID Pictures for FAQ on Web

Question: Will the fiber line extension run overhead or underground?

Typically, if your power is overhead to your house, your fiber will be attached to the same pole and run overhead, if your power is underground we’ll bury the fiber underground as well. 

Question: Is fiber available in my area?

You can check the service territory map to see if you fall with-in our fiber service territory: Fiber Service Area map.  If you do not, you may be in our wireless service territory (see below).

Question: Is wireless internet available in my area?

We have wireless internet availability in Cusick, Metaline, Metaline Falls, and Ione.  To find out if you are within range of the service, please contact a wireless provider.  Call either iFiber Communications at (509) 447-2600 or POVN at (509) 447-3067.


Basic Line Extension Process:

Line Extension Process Flow Chart for web v2