***New Energy Assistance Funding Now Available***
Have you suffered a financial hardship due to COVID-19? Are you past-due on your utility bill? Are you having difficulty making ends meet? If so, you may qualify for an energy assistance grant up to $1,000. Give us a call at 509-447-3137 or download an application to see if you might qualify: ARPA Grant Application.
The grant funding is being administered by the PUD as a subrecipient of American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds made available through Pend Oreille County.
A huge thanks goes out to the County for making this assistance funding available so that we can better help our customers.
Are you struggling to make ends meet? Help is available.
We know a growing number of our customers are struggling to make ends meet. We are here for you and we want to work with all of our customers facing financial hardship. If you find yourself unable to pay your bill, please give us a call at 509-447-3137. We’ll listen to each unique situation and work to identify ways to ease the burden.
There are multiple forms of assistance available and we want to remind you that the moratorium on disconnections due to non-payment expired September 30, 2021. We ask that you please call our office to make arrangements if your account is past due to avoid disconnection.
For a quick reference sheet on the PUD's billing information and assistance options, click here: Energy Assistance & Billing
Energy Assistance Options:
- PUD’s Neighbors in Need (NIN) Program - you may qualify for a NIN grant, please contact the PUD’s Customer Service Team at 509-447-3137.
- Rural Resources - to see if you qualify for a grant through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) or other assistance program, call or visit a Rural Resource office at:
- 509-447-9997 – 333211 HWY 20 #200, Newport, WA
- 509-442-3222 – 205 Houghton St, Ione, WA
- For the 2021-2022 Energy Season, click here: Rural Resources - Energy Assistance Information 2021-2022
- DSHS - funding may be available through DSHS for disaster cash assistance, call or visit:
- 509-447-6214 – 1600 W 1st St, Newport, WA
- Family Crisis/Crime Victim Services:
- 509-447-2274 – 703 W 1st St, Newport, WA
- Pend Oreille County Veteran’s Assistance Program:
- Please call Marianne Nichols at (509) 447-6474
- Requirements: resident of Pend Oreille County, registered to vote, Veteran or widow of a Veteran, honorably discharged (need DD-214 discharge papers).
Are you looking to help your community?
Operation Round Up
Operation Round Up for Neighbors in Need provides emergency energy assistance grants to households in our county. The grants go to individuals and families to help them get back on their feet again following unexpected emergencies or hardships.
Helping families keep warm is Operation Round Up for Neighbors in Need’s primary goal.
Donations are distributed by the PUD to those who qualify. Your financial gift is tax deductible, and you will be sent a summary of your yearly contributions on the January and February statements.
- Round Up
- If selected, each month, PUD “rounds up” the electric bills of participating customers to the next highest dollar. For example, a consumer’s monthly bill of $52.73 would be automatically rounded up to $53.00, with the additional 27 cents going to the Operation Round Up for Neighbors in Need fund.
Through participation in Operation Round Up, the average contribution per customer is approximately fifty cents ($.50) a month, or six dollars ($6) per year.
- If you wish to contribute the same amount every month, pledging is the way to go. We will include your pledge on your monthly PUD statement, simply just let us know the amount you wish to include.
- Add to your bill
- You can help by adding a donation to your monthly energy bill. You can make a one-time donation when you pay your bill—or any other time throughout the year. Give as many times as you like; you choose when and how much.
- Other ways
Budget Payment Plan
No more seasonal surprises! The PUD Budget Plan lets you pay the same amount every month, all year. Payments are based on an average of your previous year’s usage. Call for information.
Winter Low-Income Payment Program
Please call Customer Service at (509) 447-3137 to inquire about this program during the winter months between November 15 and March 16.
Low-Income Senior Discount
Qualified Pend Oreille PUD customers, based on their total annual household income and the age of the applicant, may receive a $5 monthly discount. An application, age verification and income verification are required to receive the monthly discount. Customers will be required to re‐verify eligibility upon request.
- Applicant must be 62 years or older at the time of application.
- Total combined household income (including that of spouse or co‐tenant), from all sources, shall be 125% or less of the Federally Established Poverty Guidelines.
- The utility service must be in the name of the applicant and be the primary residence of the applicant.
- Only one discount per customer is allowed.